A stay in Fountain City will get you away from the hectic day-to-day and slow you down with small town charm. When you’re ready to venture away from the Inn you will find plenty to keep you as relaxed or busy as you’d like to be!
Looking to stroll around town and experience local attractions?
- (Featured Right) Take in masterpieces by Monet, Picasso, and other world-renowned artists such as Emanuel Leutze’s Washington Crossing the Delaware (1851), at the Minnesota Marine Art Museum
- Explore loads of classic cars and antique toys at Elmer’s Auto & Toy Museum
- Discover one of Wisconsin’s largest arrowhead collections at the Historical Society
- Get your feet wet at Fountain City’s two Boat Landings
- Watch for boats, jet-ski’s, and even large barges at the Lock and Dam
Looking for some coffee, drinks, and delicious local food?
- “Dine with Dragons” at Wisconsin’s oldest operating tavern (1894), The Monarch Public House
- Try the espresso, hand-dipped cones, lattes, crepes and more at World Cup Coffee
- (Featured Left) Enjoy delicious local wine wine and amazing views while completing your “Wine Trail Passport” across 10 (ten) wineries along the Great River Road Wine Trail
- Get some drinks and try the specialty pizza at The Golden Frog
- Try the amazing fish fry (or any other local favorite) at WingDam Saloon
- Take a class on how to make Artisan breads at Barefoot Landing Breads
Looking to explore natural beauty, wildlife, and amazing geology?
- Experience eagles up close at Wabasha’s National Eagle Center
- (Featured Right) Stroll Fountain City, Winona, and the surrounding areas to discover countless scenic Instagram worthy photo-ops along the Mississippi River
- Bring some binoculars to view hawks, eagles, and more here in the Driftless Area
- Walk among the mammoth stone monoliths at Kinstone Megalithic Garden
- Discover several state parks in our area – excellent hiking in Merrick State Park
- Shop small and experience fun local events in Downtown Winona
Boating! Fountain City also has two boat landings for direct access to the Mississippi River ( one located on the south end of town by the park and the other is located right downtown Fountain City). As you drive to Winona, You will also see other boat landing area’s. Winona, MN which is 6 miles south of Fountain City also has several marina’s and boat landings along with a historic downtown where many shops and eateries are located. If you drive up the river on highway 35, you will also find many boat landings and marina’s in the small towns as you drive towards Alma, WI. Continue north to Nelson (Nelson’s Cheese Factory) , Wabasha (famous Slipperies in Grumpy Old Men movie), Pepin (Laura Ingalls Wilder birthplace). Stockholm and Maiden Rock, WI also have many unique boutique shops, art galleries and eateries. Great drive up the scenic Highway 35!
Whew! And there’s more, google Great River Road, local attractions for our area or any of our local towns websites can direct you to many other activities and places to go visit. You will be amazed at the local activities! Not to mention, our little river town is located conveniently on the Great River Road and makes a great “base camp” if you’re a day tripper.